Friday, February 25, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

Before I get too deep into my post I need to preface it with this first. :)  After being home bound, literally for 12 days with Emily who has been sick we needed to get out of the house.  She turned a corner over the weekend for the better so while not at a 100% I still felt pretty confident that it was ok to go out for a bit, somewhere, anywhere.  I knew it would have to be indoors because we are having hail, wind and snow flurries and cold temperatures outside.  My hubby suggested the mall and since I have not been to our mall in a LONG time I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea.  We could walk around and stop at Starbucks for a quick treat too! 
Well I don't really think the mall is a place for refreshment.  If you want to feel old and out of style hit the mall but that is another post.  ;)  I think most of what is rumbling around inside of me is due to the simple fact that I have a daughter (and one on the way) whom I cherish and love and also want to protect, not neccessarily shelter but definately protect.  My heart felt heavy when we got home. The stores for the most part in our mall cater to the biggest consumers probably tweens to twenties.  That isn't the problem, it was the content of the stores and the advertisements.  Here's one example most of the stores we either walked through or by have a section with some pretty sexy lingerie for young girls and these were not Victoria Secret stores.  It seemed like the stores went from "The Childrens Store" and "Gymboree" to "Forever 21" and "Wet Seal", with nothing in between. Is it any wonder why parents are encouraged to have the birds and the bees talk by fifth grade?!  And honestly I don't understand what we used to call "stripper shoes" (you know the very tall stilhouettos) why they are the rage.  Why do young girls aspire to look that way?  I think fashion can be fun, it is creative expression however with all that being said I want my daugthers to have modesty too.  And I truly believe they can be both fashionable and modest.  I understand that sometimes it is tough to be in the world and not of the world. My hope is that my daughters will know who they are in Christ, His word says "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good."  And yes God made the female form beautiful but He did not intend for it to be exploited. 

I pray that this truth resonates deeply into the souls of my girls for as long as they live.
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" Psalm 139:14

4 comments:

  1. Boy does this post hit close to home. I feel exactly the same way! Our mall just opened a "Justice" store supposedly to hit that in between stage. When we went shopping we noticed it & was able to have the same conversation with our 5yr old, specifically when it came to bathing suits. Dad only wants 1 pieces & she wanted to know why. Oh the joys of raising children. The devil will definitely keep us on our toes when it comes to this, that's for sure.
    Blessings,
    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh forgot to add, : Glad you all are feeling better. It's no fun being stuck inside with a sick one.
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree...I'm even finding it hard with an 8 year old daughter to find clothes that are modest! And...I really don't enjoy taking my boys to the mall with the HUGE crazy exploitive pictures staring at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for leaving your comments. I concur, I bet it is just as hard for sons as it is for daughters. The saddest part is that a lot of parents don't either care or they think it is cute.

    ReplyDelete