Saturday, April 6, 2013

Rick's Ramblings - Day 11 - Sat, 04/06/2013

I took a shower and came out to this
We've had a busy past couple of days.  Yesterday as you all know we had court.  We passed and Chloe officially became our daughter.  What a joyous moment in our lives.  Court was very quick and was a very similar process to that of China.  Tesva and Brook made it very simple for us and everyone at IAN has been so helpful.  Thank-you to everyone at IAN for helping us with this amazing journey.

As we were leaving court, it began to rain.  Like I said before their light spring showers are like our heavy rains.  The water was running into the lobby of the court house.  We saw Brook in the van waiting for us and we opened the court house door.  The rain drops were the size of honey bees back home.  We made a run for it but I was soaked head to toe running 15 feet.  Luckily with my light cotton Ethiopian shirt and my light weight REI pants, I dried quickly.  The rain was actually refreshing and I enjoyed it.  We've had a bit of rain each afternoon for the past 4 days now.

After passing court we hurried back to our hotel, changed and then went to the care center and loved up Chloe and all of the other children.  Then back to the hotel and packed up to move to the Selah Guest House for Saturday morning.

Two of many excellent
staff  members of the
Addis View Hotel
On Saturday morning we woke up and hurried to finish packing and getting ready to move.  After a lot of prayer and a lot of encouragement from Connie, Pop Pop decided to stay during Connie's extended stay.  Connie, Chloe and Pop Pop should be home in approx 2 weeks.  Emily and I will be anxiously waiting at home.  They've also decided not to move to the Selah Guest House.  Now that there are two of them, the guest house would be $10/night more and there isn't much within walking distance of it.  So they will be staying in the same room at the Addis View that we've been in the past two weeks.  It's becoming home and there are restaurants, shops and everything they need within walking distance.  The staff at Addis View was very excited to hear that they would be staying there.

I'm actually very envious of them staying another two weeks.  I've fallen in love with the Ethiopian people and their country.  I would very much like to stay for a long while.  But there is work and bills waiting for me at home.  :)  Emily loves it here too and would like to stay longer as well.

Unpacking Food
After reorganizing the room and getting everything together, we went downstairs to wait for Brook to take us to the Care Center.  While sitting at the outside cafe downstairs we ran into Kelly and her mom, Jill.  Kelly is adopting a little boy.  It was great meeting them and learning about their story as well.  The Coates were down there getting ready to go to Awassa as well.  And my new brother, Joel, was their guide.  So I had the opportunity to say good bye to him as well.  He has become a great friend in such a short time and I'll truly miss him.  But at least we have Facebook to keep in touch.

This afternoon, we went back to the Care Center.  It was the last time for Emily and I to go.  We loved up all the children for a couple of house and then loaded up Chloe into the Ergo and brought her back to the hotel room with us.  She is so sweet.  She has been smiles all evening.  She has also been very clingy to mommy and doesn't want to be away from her side.  But she says "Da Da" all the time.  :)

Mother & Daughter
ready to go
We ate dinner here at the hotel.  I had the Ethiopian Tibes (Tibs).  I've seen it spelled both ways.  It is very spicy and you eat it with Injera.  It has become my favorite dish.  Fir Fir is my second favorite then the Shiro.  I am going to miss the Ethiopian food.  There aren't any restaurants that I know of in Boise that serves traditional Ethiopian cuisine.  We bought all the spices so now we have to learn how to make it ourselves.

Emily and I are all packed for our flights home.  We have approx 24 hours of travel time begining tomorrow evening.   We will be arriving in Boise at approx 9:40p on Monday evening.  We will be very tired and ready to climb into our beds at home and sleep for a day or two.

Lightning over Addis Ababa
Tonight while I was typing this we had a huge thunderstorm roll through with some lightning.  Here is one photo that I captured.  I was hoping the storm would move more in front of my balcony, but no such luck.  I was only able to capture about 3 photos with lightning tonight.  But I do like this one a lot.    Enjoy todays photos and I look forward to having full internet again and seeing everyone back home.

End of a long day

Rahel loves Emily

At All-Mart getting stuff for Chloe

Chloe with one of her nannies

This lady is so sweet

Lots of love from big sister

Adored by big sister

Yes, babies like to pull on necklaces

Such a good eater

Such a happy girl

Nannie with a newborn

so cute

This nannie became teary eyed when we started to leave

Last time for me to go to All-Mart